Welp, it was a lot of fun for everyone, but Fear of Twine is now over. I’d like to thank everyone who came, who participated, and who wrote about it.
The exhibition contained the following works. I’ve included links for ones which have been rehosted.
- Tony Perriello, “Debt“
- Coleoptera-Kinbote, “Duck Ted Bundy“
- Morgan Rille, “The Conversation I Can’t Have”
- Jonas Kyratzes, “The Matter of the Great Red Dragon“
- Verena Kyratzes, “Zombies and Elephants“
- Konstantinos “Gnome” Dimopoulos, “Workers in Progress“
- Eric Brasure, “Saturday Night“
- Joel Goodwin, “Truth is Ghost“
- David T. Marchand, “When Acting As A Particle” (aka “When Acting As A Wave”)
- Amanda Lange, “The Girl in the Haunted House“
- Evil Roda, “The Scientific Method“
- Pippin Barr, Gordon Calleja, and Sidsel Marie Hermansen “Drosophilia“
- Ivaylo “Evil Ivo” Shmilev, “Abstract State-warp Machines (ASwM)”
- Cayora Rue, “The Work“
- Joseph Domenici, “Coyotaje“
- Richard Goodness and PaperBlurt, “TWEEZER“
If you’d like to show your appreciation for the authors, you can do so at the GoFundMe page.
Here’s links to some pieces about the exhibition–if I missed yours, let me know.
- The Best Free Games Of The Week, February 22, 2014 (PC Gamer)
- Browser Picks: The Fear of Twine Exhibition (Indiegames.com)
- Fear of Twine: A Curated Collection of Text-Based Games (The Absolute)
- Hanging Out with Storytellers: Fear of Twine (True PC Gaming)
- Fear of Twine interactive fiction exhibition (Gary’s Play Time)
- Choose Your Own Adventures in Fear of Twine (Mash Those Buttons)
- Dan Cox plays all of the games at this YouTube playlist
- Reviews by Emily Short (Part 2) (Part 3)
- Fear of Twine: Relax…It’s Just a Review (Game Bias)
- Fear of Twine, Room 1 (Path of Least Efficiency)
- Reviews at Storycade
- Facing the Fear of Twine (Ephemeral Objects)
- Interview: Richard Goodness of Fear of Twine (Storycade)
Pieces by Fear of Twine participants
- Counterweight 12: On Fear of Twine (Electron Dance/Smallbatch.fm)
- Fear of Twine (Jonas Kyratzes)
- The Making of Zombies and Elephants (Verena Kyratzes)
- Workers in Progress, A Work in Progress (Gnome’s Lair)
- Mechanical Macondo: videogames and Latin America (David T. Marchand)
In the meantime, I’d like to take the opportunity to announce that I’m working on a new Twine called Zest. The game is going to be about the life of a lemonade stand worker living in Sufferette City. More accurately it is a life simulator! I will be updating you folks here and on my twitter (@richardgoodness) as progress happens. More importantly, I’d like to introduce the ZesTeam (we’re still working on the name); PaperBlurt is going to be handling the CSS again like he did on TWEEZER; if you haven’t played any of his games, I highly recommend his recent Ludum Dare entry The Sadness of Rocky Barbato. Meanwhile, lectronice, whose recent (do not) forget has kicked my ass–I’m not quite sure how he’s done half of what he’s done there–is going to be handling the programming and organizational stuff. And I’ll be on writing and design. So look forward to it!
In terms of length, I’m going for a similar density as TWEEZER–an individual session of the game will take maybe five minutes, but by design, the player will only be able to see a portion of events each round. I’m aiming to design a short game that can played four or five times and still give the sense of undiscovered events.
Anyway, again, thanks to everyone who enjoyed Fear of Twine, and I hope to do another similar event sometime soon!